Is social media a good or a bad thing?
Many people have very conflicting feelings towards social media as a whole. In just a short amount of time its already changed communication, businesses, politics, education and so much more. The use of social media is on the rise as well, according to a new survey. It is everywhere, in all aspects of our lives. We can access it with just a tap on our smartphones, tablets, and computers. So, lets take a look into the advantages and disadvantages of social media.
- An easy way to keep in touch with people. From time to time, we wonder what our friends, family, and people that we have came across are doing. Social media is an easy way to maintain those connections. It is also a way for us to interact with people from all around the world and get to know different cultures and meet new people.
2. Social media also promotes changes in society. The younger generation is realizing the power of social media for promoting change or issues. Many have launched numerous campaigns and movements that people from all around the world interact with to pressure the government or other companies to make the change. For example, the BLM movement or other opinions.
3. Social media also provides a platform for support of people talents and craft. It is a place where you can create a platform to showcase your talents and receive feedback and recognition. Many sports players, artists and many more people get noticed through social media and online.
4. Allows you to be an inspiration to others. Posting about your experiences and your journey can be a source of inspiration to others who are similar to you. Your posts can help others to find hope and the skills to deal with their own lives. It can also help you tp find those people who inspire you as well.
- Social media can lead to an addiction. Currently, more people are spending the majority of their day scrolling on social media and avoiding real interactions that completing their other responsibilities. Internet addictions have negative effects on peoples mental health and wellbeing.
2. Its also triggers peoples insecurities and confidence. When you scroll through any social media platform you will find people who appear to be having the best time of their lives. You will see people who look a certain way and do certain things that make you feel worse about your own life and appearance.
3. People who spend time on social media have a higher risk of depression. Excessive use of social media and internet has been proven to lead to a higher chance of developing depression and being isolated from your friends, family, and self.
4. Social media gives people a license to be hurtful. It has become a place where people will say extreme things that they would never be able to say to someone face to face. It is always easier to tear people down and say mean things when you are hiding behind a screen. This is the reason that social media has become a larger platform of bullying.
Errington, Keith. “Social Media Pros and Cons: The Top 10.” Equinet Media, www.equinetmedia.com/inbound-marketing-age-blog/top-10-social-media-pros-and-cons.
Price-Mitchell, Marilyn, et al. “Teens Discuss Disadvantages of Social Networking.” Roots of Action, 2 Oct. 2020, www.rootsofaction.com/disadvantages-of-social-networking/.
“31 Eye-Opening Pros and Cons of Social Media Use.” Develop Good Habits, 3 Nov. 2020, www.developgoodhabits.com/pros-and-cons-of-social-media/.