Pros and Cons of Dieting
Many people in society today are overweight or even obese. Lots of people attempt to go on diets in order to lose weight and be healthier. Below are the advantages and disadvantages to going on a diet.
TW: MENTION OF EATING DISORDERS
- Dieting is one of the most effective ways to lose weight. By restricting how much and what you are eating, it effects people’s weight either positively or negatively. So this benefits people who are looking to achieve a healthier weight.
2. Diets also improve confidence levels. Hence, after finishing a diet, you should look better and healthier than before starting the diet. When you look and feel good, your confidence levels rise. Confidence is key to succeed in many aspects of life and people are generally happier when they obtain it.
3. Dieting and healthy eating also lengthens your lifespan. If what you are consuming is good for you body also mixed with a combination of exercise, studies have shown that you may live longer.
4. Eating healthier and dieting leads people to have more energy. Studies show that people who monitor and have a healthy relationship with food tend to feel better as a whole and have enough fuel to last them through the day.
- When dieting, you may not be able to eat the foods that you like anymore. It can be very tempting when all of your friends want out go out and get ice cream or you are put in the situation of delicious junk food. People on diets may have a lower quality of life at the time.
2. Many people also feel very hungry when going on diets. This is logical considering that if you eat a smaller amount than you are used to, your stomach may react differently. A strong feeling of hunger is very distracting and can cause you to lack on your other activities.
3. Some people take their diets too far. Losing weight may be a good thing if you are suffering from being overweight. But sometimes diets may lead to eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. So be careful not to become consumed with a number on a scale and continue your diet when it is no longer needed.
4. Certain dieting may not be very good for active individuals or athletes. Several diets can lead to malnutrition which can cause injuries, fatigue, poor performance, and much more. So as an athlete you must be very selective in the diets that you partake in.
“24 Important Pros & Cons Of Dieting.” E&C, 13 Dec. 2020, https://environmental-conscience.com/dieting-pros-cons/
Renee, Janet. “Diet Vs. Lifestyle Change.” Healthy Eating | SF Gate, 28 Nov. 2018, https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/diet-vs-lifestyle-change-11130.html
“The Pros and Cons of Dieting for Athletes.” FoodandFitnessPro, 26 Mar. 2020, https://foodandfitnesspro.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-dieting-for-athletes/